Peer Career Advisor
Peer Career Advisors (PCAs) are trained and supervised paraprofessionals who provide career development assistance on a peer-to-peer level through the Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration. PCA’s are on a team of around 10 undergraduate Peer Career Advisors that are supervised by Alexis Andershock, Assistant Director of Outreach. Below are more details regarding the role:
- Part-Time: Around 10 hours per week
- Majority of working hours between 8:00am-5:00pm in-person during the fall/spring semesters
- Some weeknight and weekend presentations required (virtual and in-person)
- Mandatory in-person weekly training Spring 2024 – Planning for Monday’s 3pm-4pm (may change based on applicant availability)
- Mandatory in-person weekly meeting Fall 2024 – Monday’s 4pm – 5pm
- Preferred commitment to two years upon time of hire
- Seeking 1-2 candidates who are specifically interested in marketing/social media.
$12.00 with opportunity for a raise in future with longevity and/or promotion to a Lead PCA Position
- Assist students of all backgrounds and experiences with a variety of career needs such as reviewing resumes/cover letters and conducting practice interviews (Communication and Equity & Inclusion)
- Refer students to appropriate staff and resources based on student needs (Critical Thinking)
- Conduct presentations on career related topics such as resumes, cover letters, and interviews to student groups and organizations (Communication)
- Plan and organize events to advertise the Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration resources and social activities (Critical Thinking and Professionalism)
- Represent Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration at campus events and activities like job fairs, tabling events, etc. (Leadership and Professionalism)
- Train and collaborate with peers to lead training sessions for fellow PCA’s and other UTK students (Teamwork)
- Serve on various projects in the Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration based on office need. Projects may include but are not limited to: social media content creation/planning, employer of the day event planning, job fair student representative, etc. (Teamwork & Leadership)
- Desire to assist other UT students!
- Strong written/verbal communication and customer service skills
- Creativity, work ethic, and productivity with minimal supervision
- Minimum GPA of 2.75
How to Apply:
Apply on Handshake by Friday, November 10th, 2023 at midnight.
- Resume: Detail your previous education, work, and extracurricular experiences. We are seeking some applicants with an interest and/or skill in social media management (e.g., Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Cover Letter: Address the cover letter to Alexis Andershock, Selection Committee Chair (201 Student Union, 1502 Cumberland Ave, Knoxville, TN 37996) Include the following information in cover letter:
- Why are you interested in being a Peer Career Advisor?
- What strengths/skills do you hope to contribute to the Peer Career Advisor team?
- How did you hear about this position?
- Reference Sheet: Provide at least two (2) references (name, position, contact). Your references should be previous/current supervisors, teachers, academic faculty, or professional mentors.
Learn more about the Peer Career Advisor Program: https://studentsuccess.utk.edu/career/peer-careeradvisors/